Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Reaches way down deep

And tonight is it.

The much dreaded, much anticipated, much discussed season finale.

I'm too spoiled for my own good, even though I tried to reform my ways about a month ago, but in the interest of not spoiling anyone else, let me just say...

It's called a "cliffhanger" for a reason. The story isn't finished yet.

Now--I think I'm less distraught over the possibilities because I care more about Rory than many Luke/Lorelai shippers do. There are many people, especially where I hang out, for whom Lorelai and her relationships (especially with Luke) are the be-all and end-all of the show. Don't get me wrong--I love Luke and Lorelai as much as the next person, but they're not the whole show for me.

To me, though, Rory is like a friend. I love her dearly, even when she's making dumb choices, and I really resonate with her, and for that, I'm as invested in her storylines as in Lorelai's.

Someone commented that she's completely unrelatable--that they don't know any young adults who have committed adultery with a married ex, or who have committed a felony. For me... I agree--I've never done that--but I can totally relate to the underlying issues. I can relate to being a college student, finding a new sense of "home," losing first loves, trying to find a niche, dealing with disappointment, searching for that perfect career, reshaping dreams... those are all parts of her underlying conflicts that are expressed in extreme and maybe unbelievable ways, but still--the core is there, and that's what I relate to.

So, with that... I'm looking forward to tonight, with a mix of apprehension and excitement, and I'll try and be better about posting my thoughts on the finale and the season in general, as well as my hopes for season 7!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home